This is the best from scratch Italian marinara sauce recipe.
- 4 organic Tomatoes (San Marzano Tomatoes recommended, but any will do)
- 1 small organic yellow onion -diced
- 8 organic cloves garlic -minced
- 1 leaf bay
- 4 sprigs basil
- 1/3 c fresh basil leaves – sliced or torn
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pinch sea salt ( or to your taste)
- Heat a heavy bottom large pot on medium low flame. Add 4 tbsp of olive oil and the diced onion with a pinch of sea salt. Cook for about 10 minutes until traslucent taking good care not to burn it.
- Stir in the minced garlic and let it infuse the oil for about 30 seconds.
- Use your hands and crush the tomatoes as you add them to the pot with the onion and garlic. Rustic chunks are what we are after.
- Add the bay leaf and the 4 sprigs of basil then bring everything to a gentle simmer. Partially cover with a lid and cook down until reduced and thick to your liking. About an hour or so. Stir a few times making sure the sugars from the tomatoes don’t stick to the bottom.
- After the sauce has reduced season to taste with the sea salt. Discard the bay leaf and basil sprigs.
- Optional: Blend in a blender or immersion blender
- Finish with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil